Friday, November 4, 2011

On My Heart Today...

... is 'our' little guy, Simon. We sponsor him through Compassion International now. He is 4, he'll be 5 on November 22.

He's already broadened our worldview, helping to remind Hubby and I that we are beyond blessed to have everything we have, getting our kids interested in and caring about the fact that there are countries and cultures outside our own, and reminding us all that life is not guaranteed to always be safe and warm and healthy.

I'm learning to write to him. How do you write coherently to a four year old you've never met? It's kind of fun to explain things like snow and falling leaves to someone who lives near the equator. Probably a bit of what I say gets lost in translation but this is truly a situation where it's the thought that counts.

I'm already so proud of how the girls have embraced Simon. They get an allowance and we've set out a jar for them to make donations to Simon so we can get him special gifts throughout the year. I went to send his birthday gift just a couple weeks after we had started to sponsor him and there was already $7 in the jar from them. I took that out and sent the gift and now there's more in there already again. We've only been sponsoring him a month! They pray for him at meal times and bed times and ask about him through the day, asking what his life is like in relation to what theirs are like. They've blown me away with their generosity.

Welcome to our family, Simon. We're so happy we can help you and pray for you and your family. I wonder if you'll know this side of heaven how you've blessed us right back? I hope so.

No comments: