Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An unprofessional survey

So I mowed the lawn tonight. As in, went outside a half hour before the sun set and wasn't done until a half hour after it went down. Now, my subdivision is in a township, so I don't think I have to worry about sound ordinances, but I do have a question about the politeness of mowing at night. I was thinking, as I mowed near the bedroom of one of our next door neighbor's children (I think, I've never been inside), that maybe some people don't like it when their neighbors mow after 'bedtime.'

Most of the people I talk to put their kids to bed around 8 or 8:30. Is it irritating to have a mower running nearby? We have the neighbors next door who have 3 small girls and ones across the street who have 2 small children, and next to them is a house with a brand new baby. So what do you think? Do you hate it when people near you run their mowers when your kid is sleeping? Are houses nowadays far enough from each other or well enough made that they probably didn't hear me?

3 comments:

Dorci said...

Since I'm in Arizona I rarely hear a mower. :) But I'd guess if it was going right by a child's bedroom it might keep them awake. Personally, I love the sound of a mower. I don't quite know why. It just sounds comforting somehow. Maybe a throwback to my innocent childhood in Kentucky.

Dorci said...

ps...You could always just ask the neighbor.

laughterismedicine said...

I could ask. It was 9:30 when I thought of the question though, so I will worry about it next time I see them. Also, I hope not to have to mow that late again any time soon! :) Thanks for the input.