Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A- Our Dancer (Maybe)

I know there's no way to be sure YET that my 5-year-old is a good dancer. But she sure is enthusiastic about it. She asks nearly every day if she has dance that day. She came home the other day and knew how to properly do and pronounce a plié. She loves to imitate dancers she sees and when there are dancers in church, she is transfixed for the entire dance. It is adorable to watch, that is for sure. 

See her there? She's all in black, in the glasses and white headband, just behind the little girl in the turquoise tutu. I'm sorry this pic is bad, but parents aren't allowed in the room. This one is through the window in the door. I'll post better ones soon, at the latest after her show at the end of the class. 






















Her teacher is funny, too. She clearly believes that dance is a very serious subject, never to be messed with or joked about, ever. She's very strict. She also does not seem to be very good with kids on an individual basis. She does do a great job with the class as a whole, but outside of class, she's just, well, interesting. A, who is a very friendly little thing, waves to her teacher every time she sees her. The teacher always gives her this look like she has no idea why anyone would do such a thing, and a half-hearted wave. It's very interesting. But DURING class, that strictness is a good thing. A needs to know that there is a time to be serious about learning. That will help her in the future, especially in dance, and when she gets to Kindergarten.


On the other hand, if she ever got sick of her lessons, we would let her quit, I've never wanted to force my kids to do anything. But if she stays enthusiastic about it, maybe she'll really grow to love it. That would be pretty awesome for me. I've always sort of regretted not taking dance lessons when I was young. I could live vicariously through her! Haha! 

Of course I'm kidding, but I'm starting to see the beginnings of what it feels like to watch one's children learn a skill that they're passionate about. That's a pretty cool thing. I'm seen it some in how much S soaks up information about the sports she plays, too. It's just so neat to see them advancing past the walking, talking stage in to being excited about something new to explore beyond the walls of the 'nest' if you will.

2 comments:

Zoe said...

I think this is fabulous. Just to warn you, if she keeps going with dance as she gets older, it can get very expensive! But it is so beneficial for physical, mental, and social development, and plus they look darn cute in that costume on stage! I'm glad you seem to have a good teacher for her. I am not strict enough - still learning discipline. Maybe with enough practice I'll get good enough to become a mom.

laughterismedicine said...

I know that it can get expensive! We've already looked into actual lessons for her (she's in rec classes right now), and it's well into the hundreds just for the class. It's to the point where we'll have to set aside money from the tax return (our largest income during the year) to pay for it. But that's okay. That's what parents are for, right? :) We figure we'll let her try it this year and if she loves it, she can keep going.