Thursday, July 29, 2010

Week 8--Support His Vision

I am just loving this exercise. The whole summer blog series has been wonderful for me/us. This week's prompt encouraged a wonderful, long conversation about us, what got us where we are, where he hopes we will go, and what that looks like for us as we follow his lead.

July 26 - Support his vision. Discuss his vision for your family. Where does he see your family in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years?


So we finally got a while last night to discuss it, and it was encouraging and wonderful.

1 Year: He sees us in a more stable financial place. He will be finishing up his associate's degree in less than the year, which opens up more opportunities at work. His hope is that those opportunities will come with pay raises, as well. There is not much change expected for us as a family in only a year, though we will be looking at all three children being in school as C starts Kindergarten next year. Besides that and plenty of growth and maturing, we will hopefully not have any drastic changes in one year.

5 Years: He hopes to have a more advanced position at work, perhaps (he hopes) in the prototype area there. School will be behind him at that point and he hopes to get his name out there as a freelancer/contractor in his chosen field. A small business may be something we start looking into seriously around that time. He hopes that I will by that time have my own time to do what I see fit. Right now, things like volunteering at non-profits and the kids' schools really appeal to me. That could change but that's where I sit right now.


10 Years: S will have just graduated High School (*faints*), so thoughts of college and such will be heavy on our minds. A will be entering 10th grade and C 9th grade. We will have 3 teenagers...sigh. He hopes to either be very advanced at the company he's at now, or completely independent. He also hopes to be either looking at designing and building our dream house, or already in it. For me, he hopes that by then I will have a job I love, or volunteering as much as possible somewhere near and dear to my heart. For me this would be either a location that helps the poor or a crisis pregnancy center.

We brainstormed something that we don't know WHERE it might fit in, but we'd love to see it fit in. We would be thrilled to be in a place where we could adopt. That will be something we play by ear, as it is such a huge expense. But we'd love to be able to.

Also, we discussed how tied down to our current city we feel. We agreed that we'd love to stay here until the kids are grown, then after that, perhaps we won't be anchored here so much, and may choose to move. But we're pretty stable here for now.

It is so easy to follow his lead for us. He makes wise choices and is open to life's changes. He takes other opinions into consideration and knows that life can change quickly. I know that if he were called somewhere else he would be very open to that as well, all the while keeping our family in the forefront of his mind and what changes mean for us. I feel like God really orchestrates where we are and where we are going, and that I have been truly blessed to be loved by such a wonderful man.

This was such an incredible conversation. It led to more great discussions, like the one about about how blessed I feel to be with him, ideas for running his own small business if we feel like that is a good step for us, and more. We were up way too late considering his early work time, but it was worth it, I think. I hope he thinks so too. ;)

No comments: