Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Farmer's Market

I took the girls to the Farmer's Market in Downtown Holland today. They do a market every Wednesday and Saturday. Wednesdays are kids days, so they had hula hoops and jump ropes and sidewalk chalk out. I think they were doing activities too, but I checked the brochure and it didn't look like anything interesting so we went on. Maybe the next time we go it'll be a more interesting activity and I can let the girls hang out for a while and I'll sit around and watch. Today there was a guy playing a banjo. My kids love to put coins in their open cases when musicians are playing. He was pretty good, too.

I'm once again getting used to having all three of them in tow. During the school year I saved my errands for when the older two were both in school. Having them all along is really not as hard as it used to be, they get better at sticking by me as they get older and I just strap the littlest in the stroller! She can't wander away that way! :)

Anyway, I picked up some strawberries, blueberries and apples. One of my favorite parts of summer is having berries sitting out that everyone can just snack on. Fresh blueberries are my favorite!

I ended up buying too many strawberries, and quite a few of them got smashed on the way home (don't know how that happened, with 3 girls in tow...ha!). So, I looked up an easy, no-pectin (as I didn't have any in the house) strawberry jam recipe. The only problem is that it called for the jam to reach 220 degrees, and I don't have a candy thermometer! So I decided to wing it. I brought it to a rolling boil, like it said, then let it boil until it was going to overflow my pot. Now, we will see how close I got by whether or not the jam sets. It's in the fridge right now but it's still pretty warm. If it doesn't turn into jam, I plan on making a sweet bread I improvised a couple of weeks ago and using the strawberry stuff as a dessert topping. I did dip a finger in it, and it is certainly sweet enough! So either way we'll get a treat.

No comments: