Yeah, I got most of the ideas I'm going to expound on from a blog that used some pretty grown up words. I hesitated for a long time in posting this and linking to the article because of the language used. So consider yourself warned.
(Here's the link, to give credit where credit will be due: Right here 'cause even the link had bad words...)
But it also had some interesting ideas. It pointed out that we all have this internal 'eye' watching us all the time. It's the expectations that have built up inside of us from those we come in contact with. Our parents, culture, friends... all those feelings we have about how others see us and how they will react to EVERYTHING we do. I had to agree with much of what he was saying.
His points are, there are billions on this planet. There's no reason to care about what every one of them thinks about you. Most of them, even if they do notice you, will not think twice about you. So he suggested breaking through the things that make you most uncomfortable by just doing them. In fact, the example he gave was what resonated with me and made me want to blog about it. He had a pair of Vibrams and rather than worry about what people would think if they saw him in them, he just wore them. Who cares what people think? And if they don't like them, how would that change whether or not you like them? I have a pair too and the fact that I barely wore them right away is due largely to the fact that I cared what people would think if they saw me in them. Well, who cares what they think about my shoes? I like them, my feet feel good when I wear them, so... so what.
Recently the issue has been skirts. I want to be wearing more skirts but I was worried about whether people would think I was trying to make a religious statement or trying to be more proper, but the truth is that I just like them. I have some cute ones and want to wear them. I'm finally doing that more and more (even wearing dresses for everyday stuff instead of just church), and I like it. And no one else really cares.
His point is as long as it's not illegal, then knock yourself out and forget other people. They'll soon be forgetting you anyway. I would amend that by adding that if I'm still trying to reflect Christ in the way I treat people, how I dress is not going to change much.
There's a saying, I found it today attributed to Maya Angelou: “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Also, they'll forget what you were wearing. So, have your own style. Don't worry about dressing to please others. God made us individuals for a reason. The whole reason we're here is to love on others and model Christ anyway, not to impress them with our dress.
No comments:
Post a Comment